I was tagged by PT.
The Twenty-Year Meme
20 years ago I:
1. Was 13.
2. Kissed a boy for the first time at – wait for it –band camp. (Oh yeah, I was the cool kid!)
3. Was best friends with a girl whose name rhymes with mine and who sort of resembled me, so we would pretend we were twins when we went places.
4. Would hang out at best friend’s dad’s Harley shop after school.
5. Was a “mean girl” to some of my friends from elementary school (for which I now feel really, really terrible.)
6. Really, really wanted a boyfriend.
10 years ago I:
1. Had just graduated from college
2. Did not want children.
3. Was 7 months pregnant with PS.
4. Was trying to help DH find a job and freaking out that we were going to have to go on welfare because he didn’t graduate for another month and I was the primary bread-winner earning about $14k/year as a customer service rep for a satellite television company.
5. Moved to Big City – 3 weeks before PS was born, when it was 113 degrees outside.
6. Refused to buy girlie things for my baby because I didn’t want to pre-form her ideas about gender roles (can you tell I was a psych major?)
5 years ago I:
1. Was wrangling two-year-old twins and a 4 year-old.
2. Was fantasizing about running away from home because I was unhappy as a SAHM.
3. Took the LSAT to combat above fantasies.
4. Had my first hangover at – wait for it – a Mothers of Twins Convention. We also got threatened with getting kicked out of out hotel room because I used my almost-lawyer skills to wrangle the Presidential Suite, which turned into the Party Suite.
5. Was buying my first home—and driving the home-builder and my mortgage broker crazy with working out the details.
6. Found out that I did not get admitted to my top choice law school and cried.
3 years ago I:
1. Transferred from crappy law school to top choice law school (that’s really unfair, the first school wasn’t bad—it just wasn’t highly ranked and I would probably still be looking for a job if I had graduated from there.)
2. Was juggling 4 year old twins, a 6 year old and my second year of law school.
3. Interned for a civil court judge—which I loved.
4. Was no longer fantasizing about running away from home.
5. Celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary.
6. Turned 30, and went into a 6 month funk about being old.
So far this year I:
1. Finally got a damn job!
2. Started actually liking my job.
3. Have visited three of the most undesirable cities in the state for my job.
4. Have felt guilt about working too much and not seeing my children enough.
5. Watched my children grown in to funny and amazing little people, and realized that my babies aren’t babies anymore.
1. Went to work
2. Got my A/C fixed
3. Had an ultrasound of my gallbladder.
4. Scheduled an appointment with a surgeon because the gallbladder is full of stones.
5. Confirmed appointment for endometrial ablation and $350 deductible.
6. Tried to figure out how I am going to tell work that I need time off for two medical procedures.
1. Went to work early because DH was able to drop the girls off.
2. Contemplated Starbucks and was amazed at my own willpower to resist.
3. Contemplated whether I should order the twins a cake for their birthday Thursday.
4. Found out that I will be traveling to yet another undesirable city for work on Friday.
5. Had chipotle-crusted steak and “Crash Hot Potatoes” made by DH for dinner. Yum!
6. Combed the girls’ hair after their baths and kissed their sweet little cheeks goodnight.
Tomorrow I will:
1. Go to work.
2. Find homes for the 7 cats still living in my powder room.
3. Order a birthday cake for the twins.
4. Call PS, who is visiting in Hometown, and tell her that I love her and that I miss her.
5. Gee, I just don’t have much on my plate for tomorrow.
In the next year I will:
1. Go to Disney World (we’re thinking Christmas.)
2. Have second graders—and a fifth grader (I can’t be that old!)
3. Will take a trip with just DH—no kids.
4. Will have been a lawyer for a year.
5. Gee, I don’t have much on my plate for the next year.
I tag who-ever wants to do this one. It takes a while and I know a bunch of y'all are studying for the bar. But if you need a study break, have at it--it's fun!